Weeks after being shot, Brian Robinson Jr. scores his first NFL touchdown, leading the Commanders past the Bears in a messy game.

Although the Thursday night game last week was terrible, at least this one featured touchdowns.

Although it was sloppy from beginning to end, the Washington Commanders defeated the Chicago Bears 12-7 thanks to a late charge and some assistance from the opponents.


Brian Robinson #8 of the Washington Commanders celebrates his touchdown during the fourth quarter against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field on October 13, 2022 in Chicago, Illinois.

With little over 8 minutes remaining and a 7-6 advantage, the Commanders were prepared to punt the ball away for the sixth time that evening. Washington, though, was in an ideal position after Velus Jones botched the Commanders’ punt and recovered at the four-yard line.

Less than two months after being wounded, Brian Robinson Jr. scored from the two-yard line on the second play of the shortened drive. Although Washington’s two-point attempt was failed, they still led 12-7 with 7:21 remaining.

Chicago attempted to advance down the field, but on third and 11, Dante Pettis fumbled a pass, a delay of play sent them back, and then another ball was intercepted by Ihmir Smith-Marsette, leading to a turnover on downs.

With 1:48 remaining and no timeouts from their own 38-yard line, Washington had a chance to cut the deficit to eight points, but Tress Way missed a 48-yard field goal, giving the Bears the ball back.

They were briefly revitalized by Justin Fields’ 39-yard scramble, which put them at the Commanders’ five-yard line but prevented them from scoring.

Fields’ first-down run was only one yard, his second-down pass was intercepted, and on third down, Pettis was unable to hang onto a 50-50 ball in the end zone (that probably should have been defensive pass interference). At the goal line, on fourth down, he connected with Darnell Mooney, but Mooney bobbled the ball and lost control of it; the officials called him short, and Wentz took a knee to seal the victory.

Carson Wentz #11 of the Washington Commanders passes during the second quarter against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field on October 13, 2022 in Chicago, Illinois.


Although it doesn’t mean much, the second half was a significantly better end result than the first, which was truly remarkable. In the first 19 minutes of the game, the Bears made consecutive trips inside the Washington 10-yard line. After Khalil Herbert was tackled at the goal line on the second trip, which followed the first one’s interception, the ball was turned over on down.

The Commanders’ first four drives ended in punts before they finally scored the game’s opening touchdown with 46 seconds remaining on a 38-yard field goal. The Commanders only had 88 yards of offense at the half, but they led 3-0 as the teams went in at the break. Ten drives in the first half were completed, but seven ended in punts and two in errors.

The Commanders punted on their opening drive of the second half, which left the Bears in a bind. Fields threw a pass for Pettis to catch as he ducked into the end zone for a 40-yard score. Following the PAT, the Bears led 7-3. However, that was their only touchdown of the game and just their ninth overall through six games.

That touchdown seemed to ignite Washington, as Carson Wentz eventually moved the ball into the end zone and down to the five-yard line. However, they were forced to settle for their second field goal of the game, which brought them within one. Nevertheless, they were certainly able to capitalize when it mattered, as evidenced by the aforementioned punt.

Terry McLaurin #17 of the Washington Commanders carries the ball during the second quarter against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field on October 13, 2022 in Chicago, Illinois.

More Stories From Dailymailpost

Popular on Dailymailpost.com

Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.